Monday, August 1, 2011

Black Canyon of the Gunnison




On Thursday we left Lake City to go on a short road trip around central Colorado. Our first stop was Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park which is the newest National Park. The canyon views were amazing. My pictures didn't turn out that great because of the direction of the sun.
We were not that impressed with the park itself. Dennis commented that they don't have a lodge or a place to buy ice cream--ha! The campground wasn't too great either but we ended up with a nice site and the weather was perfect and no bugs so we were happy. The most fun we had was going to an evening "star talk". After the talk we got to look through some telescopes they had set up. We got to see Saturn and another "double star". It was really cool and the stars were absolutely amazing. I can't remember when I have seen so many stars. I think it must have been when I was a kid with my family at Joshua Tree in California. After the star talk we went back to our campsite and just looked at the stars for a little longer. After we saw a HUGE shooting star streak across the sky and knew it was time to go to bed. Whenever I see a shooting star I think it is my dad saying hello from heaven. He loved the stars and I have great memories of star gazing with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment