Monday, November 21, 2011

Working Woman Update

No, I did not say working "girl", I said working "woman"!
My job at Target is going good but I have to say working 3, eight hour shifts the last 3 days was tough. My feet are not used to it!!! The work is not hard and I really like my co-workers but I don't know if working retail is something I want to make a career of. I have been mostly working at doing back stocks and facing-up shelves. It is a good way to learn where everything is and I am starting to get more comfortable asking guests "Can I help you find something?" and not be terrified that I won't be able to help them. I am learning how to look things up on my PDA (I'm not sure what it stands for but it is the hand-held scanning device. It is super helpful! I am off today and tomorrow and then work from 5pm to midnight on Wednesday. On thanksgiving I work from 11:30 PM to 7:00 AM---that is going to be very HARD! At least I will get to have turkey dinner with Dennis. (Rena, Nathan and boys are going to see Candace and the girls in Hanford for Thanksgiving.) After Thanksgiving I will go back to working 12:00pm to 8:30pm five days a week.
But....in the mean time, I went and took an assessment test with an employment agency today for a customer support job with IBM. I passed the test!!! Yeah! I'm not getting too excited though because I still have to go through a 3 week training period with tests at the end of each week. It is my understanding if you don't pass each week's test, you are dropped. The job will be helping people who are having problems with their Intuit Tax software. Yikes, sounds scary, I hope I can do it. SO, I go for a orientation on December 7th and start training on December 15th. The training is paid and it will be M-F from 8am to 5pm. After that you have to be willing to work any times between 6am and 10pm. I hope I get the early shift..... The job will pay only a couple of dollars more than Target but the hours will be more regular with weekends off and it is only about 20 minutes away. So, I will most likely be quiting Target soon but I think i will wait until the orientation at IBM to make sure everything is a go.
I am babysitting the boys today because Nathan is out of town and Rena had to go to work. I had a great time taking them on a "hike" on the hill behind the house. We had a picnic of banana, granola bars and mints and we discovered some deer prints, some deer poop and found a really cool place in the trees to hide from people walking by. I told them the the place could be their secret fort. It was very fun!
We had a little bit of snow last Thursday morning but since then it has just been cold. Well, actually the last two days were not very cold. I'd say about 50 during the day and a little below freezing at night. It is now VERY dry--all the stores sell tons of humidifiers!
Dennis doing good being a house husband and still looking for job and business ideas. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment